When we stayed at eKasie Backpackers in Khayelitsha, we were served the most divine vetkoek for lunch! We couldn’t rest until we’d got the recipe.
- 6¾ cups flour (all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 packet yeast
- Lukewarm water
- Cooking oil (for frying)
Cooking instructions: How to make the dough
- Mix sugar and yeast with some lukewarm water and leave to foam.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Pour yeast in flour and knead.
- Keep adding water and knead until you have a consistency like a bread dough.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover the bowl with a cloth.
- Leave the dough to rise for about 45 to 60 minutes until it is about double its original size.
Cooking instructions: How to make the vetkoek
- Pour the cooking oil into a frying pan to have about 3 or 4cm of oil in the pan. Heat the oil to about 375°F (200°C).
- Divide the dough into balls about the size of a tennis ball.
- Flatten the dough until it is about 3 centimetres thick and about the size of your palm.
- Place two or three pieces of the flattened dough at a time into the oil. Fry each side until golden brown.